Time to prepare a Christmas package for my missionary son in Sweden so it will arrive before Christmas. My sister already sent her missionary son’s package to Brazil two weeks ago, because of the poor mail service. With that in mind I need to prepare carefully so it arrives on time, as he also celebrates his birthday in December.
My three sons have served missions in Mongolia, Bolivia and now Sweden. My third son was just transferred to Luleå where he will have little daylight this winter! But he looks at it as an adventure and he will be able to see the Northern Lights.
I am wrapping each gift and attaching a scripture that he needs to look up before he opens each gift. I sent a similar Christmas package to my son who went to Bolivia, but I am revising the gifts based on the needs of my Swedish missionary. This idea would also work for those in the military.
Here is what I did:
- Decide on the gifts first. Get ideas at the links below.
- Think of light-weight items to help with shipping costs.
- Search for a correlating scripture using this online Search The Scriptures link. That part was fun! You get pretty creative.
- Remove all cardboard and plastic wrap that you really don’t need to help reduce weight for shipping.
- Buy several small 25 cent Christmas bags from Walmart or Walgreens. They look like lunch sacks. They make excellant wrapping paper for small gifts. After you fold them shut, cut off excess paper to reduce the weight of the gift.
- Write all scripture references on mailing labels and stick to each present before you close the gift.
- Attach a mini bow. Pack of 10 at Walmart for $1.00. Mom’s are pretty amazing at how much they can fit in mailing boxes. 🙂
- I keep my packed boxes under 4 lbs. because our mission is able to forward them to him if they are light.