Our first preparedness challenge for April is to gather pasta and tomato products into our 3-month food storage supply. Most plain dry pasta has up to 3-year shelf life if stored in a cool, dry place like your cupboards or pantry. Egg noodles or pasta mixes have a shorter shelf life. According to EatByDate, “Dried pasta will last for 1-2 years beyond a ‘best by’ date.” Canned tomatoes have an 18 month to 2-year shelf life according to StillTasty.
- Create a list of the tomato or pasta products you have or use most often such as tomato puree, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salsa, tomato soup, spaghetti sauce, spaghetti, macaroni, angel hair pasta, etc.
- Decide how much you use in one month.
- Watch for sales throughout the month and gather a few extra.
- Store similar items together on your shelves.
- Find recipes such as spaghetti, sloppy joes, taco soup, pizza, tomato basil soup, Ziti bake, etc.
- Make a large batch of pasta sauce, freeze it in baggies and use it in a variety of recipes.
- Save your favorite recipes.
Heavenly Father knows your needs. Pray before you shop, and inspiration and miracles will come.
Best wishes and stay healthy!
The Food Storage Organizer