Congratulations, you’ve reached the last week of December. This week our prep challenge is to take a complete food storage inventory. If you have children out of school, this will go by much more quickly. A complete inventory may take several hours, so break it down into a few time blocks or you may lose your helpers. Throughout the year you can take mini inventories, but this a great time of year to do s super, duper one.
1. Take a Food Storage Inventory
- Please don’t worry amount how much food you have on hand. This is just a place to start. You’ll modify your goals throughout the year.
- On my printables page you’ll find two inventory worksheets. One is simplified and the other is several pages long. Print the one that makes sense to you. I suggest you use the simplified one.
- I’ve already categorized food items for you which will make this easier. Add any items you wish.
2. Write Down How Much
- Go through your home and write down how much of each item you have. Next month, we will be organizing you food better, so don’t spend time doing that now.
- Throw away old food or damaged cans. How do you know it’s old? Go to StillTasty.com.
- If you have Latter-day Saint Potato Pearls, throw them away. If your Dry Milk cans are older than 20 years, toss them too. Yes, you can throw food away. You do it everyday in your kitchen, right?
- We will set goals for items next week, but if you want to jot some down do it without the kids. 🙂
Here’s a list of food storage items and amounts from Brigham Young University. This is my go to list!!!
“REPEATED ADMONITIONS TO PREPARE HAVE BEEN PROCLAIMED BY LEADERS OF THE CHURCH FOR DECADES. THE CONSISTENCY OF PROPHETIC COUNSEL OVER TIME CREATES A POWERFUL CONCERT OF CLARITY AND A WARNING VOLUME FAR LOUDER THAN SOLO PERFORMANCES CAN EVER PRODUCE.”Elder David A. Bednar
October 2020 General Conference
I hope as you take a food storage inventory, you will discover what your family eats and what they do not. It can be an eye opening experience.
Best wishes and stay healthy,
The Food Storage Organizer
NOTES: You are never behind with my prep challenges. Just jump right in with this week. Want to see more prep challenges? Go here. And if you are new, go to my Start Here page. Purchase The Keep it Simple Preparedness Guide for $5 from my Etsy shop. Need more motivation? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.