Our second preparedness challenge for February is to buy food storage breakfast foods and oats. If a three-month supply is expensive, start with a one-month supply. Perhaps gather long-term oats after you’ve finished gathering your 3-month supply. Or gather a combination of both like I do. If your family eats lots of breakfast cereal, store a few boxes but maybe not 3-month supply since boxes take up a so much space. Dense foods like oats or granola use less space than boxes with air. Watch for sales throughout the month.
Buy Food Storage Breakfast Foods
- Gather breakfast cereal, granola, oats, breakfast bars, pancake/waffle mix, pancake or maple syrup, and other shelf-stable breakfast foods.
- If you like to cook from scratch, make sure you have those ingredients on hand.
- Yes, you can use some of your long-term oats to make oatmeal. This will help you rotate it. Or just buy short-term oats for your 3-month supply and long-term oats for your long-term supply. Your choice.
Buy Long-Term Oats
- The Latter-day Saint Home Storage Center sells rolled oats in 2.8 lb. cans and quick oats in 2.4 lb. cans for $4.50 (2021). Both have a 30-year shelf life unopened. You can also buy a box with 6 cans. It’s so wonderful that we don’t have to can our own oats anymore! You can also shop online at the Latter-day Saint store.
- A recommended year’s supply of oats for one person is about 12 #10 cans or 29 lbs. Adjust amounts for children: Age 3 and under, 50%; 4-6, 70%; 7-10, 90%; 11 and up 100%
- I a few boxes of long-term foods over time, so they don’t expire all at once.
- You may find 20 lb. buckets of Augason Farms quick rolled oats at Utah Costco stores for $17.99.
Buy food storage breakfast foods and long-term oats this week for your family. And as the British say, Cheerios!
Best wishes and stay healthy,
The Food Storage Organizer
NOTES: You are never behind with my prep challenges. Just jump right in with this week. Want to see more prep challenges? Go here. And if you are new, go to my Start Here page. Purchase The Keep it Simple Preparedness Guide for $5 from my Etsy shop. Need more motivation? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.