Our last prep challenge for April is to buy long-term food storage pasta. Work towards buying a 1-year supply of long-term pasta. If you have a small apartment, you could buy only everyday pantry pasta. The choice is yours. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sells #10 cans of macaroni and spaghetti bites with a 30-year shelf-life. To prevent long-term pasta from expiring on your shelf, perhaps use one can each year and eat your grocery store pasta most of the time. But first, let’s figure out how much pasta to buy.
For longer-term needs, and where permitted, gradually build a supply of food that will last a long time and that you can use to stay alive, such as wheat, white rice, and beans.The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
1. Decide How Much Long-Term Pasta to Store
- How much pasta does your family eat in one month regularly? Multiply that amount by twelve to figure out a 1-year supply. If you only have room for a 3-month supply, multiply your one-month amount by three.
- One #10 can of macaroni or spaghetti bits sold by the Church weighs about 3 lbs.
- Since pasta is a grain, you may interchange it with the wheat, rice, and oats that you store long-term.
- The total grain amount for one adult recommended by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is 54 #10 cans or about 250 lbs.
- Here’s more on long-term food storage recommendations: churchofjesuschrist.org/topics/food-storage/longer-term-food-supply
2. Buy Long-Term Pasta Food Storage
- Currently the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sells two pasta options online: 6 cans of Macaroni for $32.35, and 6 cans of Spaghetti Bites (small 1-inch pasta) for $31.90.
- Regardless of how much you order, the total shipping fee is $3.00.
- Since it’s recommended that we gradually build up our supply, perhaps start with a few boxes this year.
- Whether you are a member of the Church or not, you can purchase food storage online at the website store at store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/
- In some parts of the United States and Canada, food storage is sold at Home Storage Centers. Locations may be found here.
If there is one thing most children will eat, it’s pasta. Buy long-term food storage pasta for emergency use so your family doesn’t go without in times of need.
Best wishes and stay healthy,
The Food Storage Organizer
NOTES: You are never behind with my prep challenges. Just jump right in with this week. Want to see more prep challenges? Go here. And if you are new, go to my Start Here page. Purchase The Keep it Simple Preparedness Guide for $5 from my Etsy shop. Need more motivation? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.