Time to stock up on pasta and tomatoes for our first April prep challenge. Our goal is a 3-month food storage pantry supply. This isn’t difficult if you already use pasta and canned tomatoes in your cooking. It’s helpful to know that most dry pasta has about a 3-year shelf life if stored in a cool, dry place like your cupboards or pantry. Egg noodles or pasta mixes have a shorter shelf life. Dried pasta could last 1-2 years beyond ‘best by’ date. StillTasty states canned tomatoes have an 18-month to 2-year shelf life. Let’s dive in to this challenge!
1. Gather Pasta and Tomatoes Into Your 3-Month Food Supply
- Create a list of the shelf-stable tomato or pasta products you have or use most often such as tomato puree, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, jarred salsa, tomato soup, pasta sauce, pasta, spaghetti, macaroni, bowtie pasta, etc.
- Figure out how much you use in one month and then multiply it by 3. If you can only store a one month supply, that’s okay too.
- Watch for sales throughout the month and buy a few extra items to add to your pantry. Smith’s grocery store in Utah has a case lot sale going on right now with deals on pasta and tomato products. Walmart regularly has good prices too.
- Organize your shelves so that similar food items are grouped together as this will make your grocery inventory easier.
- This year, I transferred some of my pasta into half-gallon mason jars and wrapped them in Dollar Tree headbands to prevent breakage.
- American Beauty pasta shelf life and storage information can be found @ americanbeauty.com/faqs .
2. Make a Recipe With Pasta and Tomatoes
- Find recipes such as spaghetti, sloppy joes, taco soup, pizza, tomato basil soup, Ziti bake, etc. There are many on Pinterest. How’s that for simple!
- Save your favorite recipes in a binder or an online program like Plan to Eat.
- Perhaps make a large batch of pasta sauce, freeze it in baggies and use it in a variety of recipes.
I hope you enjoy your pasta and tomatoes stock up time for our April prep challenge. Heavenly Father knows your needs. Pray before you shop, and inspiration and miracles will come. You CAN do this!
Best wishes and stay healthy!
Valerie Albrechtsen – The Food Storage Organizer
Want to see more prep challenges? Go here. Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. And check out The Keep It Simple Preparedness Guide here. My guide will help you gather food storage and emergency supplies each month.