It’s time to stock up on pasta and tomatoes for our first April prep challenge. If possible, our goal is a 3-month supply, which isn’t that difficult if you already use pasta and canned tomatoes in your cooking. Most pasta we buy from the grocery store has up to a 3-year shelf life if stored in a cool, dry place like your cupboards or pantry. Egg noodles or pasta mixes have a shorter shelf-life. StillTasty.com says canned tomatoes have an 18-month to 2-year shelf life, so use and replenish regularly.
Stock Up on Pasta and Tomatoes
- Create a list of the shelf-stable tomato or pasta products you have or use most often such as tomato puree, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, jarred salsa, tomato soup, pasta sauce, pasta, spaghetti, macaroni, bowtie pasta, etc.
- Figure out how much you use in one month and then multiply it by three. If you can only store a one month supply, that’s okay too.
- Watch for sales throughout the month and buy extra items to add to your pantry. Smith’s Kroger grocery store in Utah has a case lot sales about this time of year. Walmart has good prices too.
- Organize your shelves so that similar food items are grouped together as this will make checking grocery supplies easier. These can organizers are very useful.
- This year, I transferred my pasta into half-gallon mason jars and wrapped them in Dollar Tree headbands to prevent breakage.
- American Beauty pasta shelf life and storage information can be found @ americanbeauty.com/faqs .
Make a Recipe with Pasta and Tomatoes
- Find recipes on Pinterest such as spaghetti, sloppy joes, taco soup, pizza, tomato basil soup, Ziti bake, etc. Save your favorite recipes in a binder or an online program like Plan to Eat.
- Perhaps make a large batch of pasta sauce, freeze it in baggies and use it in a variety of recipes.
I hope you enjoy stocking up on pasta and tomatoes this month. Pray before you shop, and inspiration will come to help you find good prices. You CAN do this!
Best wishes and stay healthy,
The Food Storage Organizer
NOTES: You are never behind with my prep challenges. Just jump right in with this week. Want to see more prep challenges? Go here. And if you are new, go to my Start Here page. Purchase The Keep it Simple Preparedness Guide for $5 from my Etsy shop. Need more motivation? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.