Our third preparedness challenge in May is to stock up on spices and flavorings for our food storage and everyday. Many spices and flavorings come from overseas and could be difficult to get because of storms, famine and other disasters. For instance, over 80% of the world’s vanilla is grown in Madagascar. In 2017 Madagascar had a cyclone destroy one third of the vanilla crop and our prices skyrocketed. It takes 3 – 5 years for the vanilla orchid to produce again. Food shortages happen. Be different and perhaps a little peculiar. Be prepared with spices and flavorings.
“Church members are conscious of the fact that they live in a period of calamities, caused both by human actions and the furies of nature. The prophecies about the last days are unequivocal, and there is great wisdom in preparing for the future whether it be for possible famine, disaster, financial depression, or any other unforeseen adverse circumstance.”Presiding Bishop Gérald Caussé, March 2, 2018
Stock Up On Spices and Flavorings
- Take an inventory of the spices and flavorings you have at home. Decide which ones you use the most and purchase larger containers of those you use most often, and smaller containers of those you use less often.
- Watch for sales grocery store or by large containers at Costco or Sam’s Club.
- Most spices have a 2-3-year shelf life.
- The Latter-Day Saint Home Storage Centers sell a 2.1 lb. can of dehydrated onions for $8.00 at Home Storage Centers.
- You can use dehydrated onions in your regular cooking or when you run out of fresh.
- These onions have a 30-year shelf life.
- A one-year food storage supply for an adult is 1 #10 can.
- Re-hydrate dried onions by adding “one part dehydrated onions to four parts hot water. Drain off excess water after 15 minutes.”
- Add dried onions to spaghetti sauce, soups or casseroles if there is some moisture in the recipe.
I hope you can stock up on the spices and flavorings you want this month. You CAN do it!
Best wishes and stay healthy,
The Food Storage Organizer
NOTES: You are never behind with my prep challenges. Just jump right in with this week. Want to see more prep challenges? Go here. And if you are new, go to my Start Here page. Purchase The Keep it Simple Preparedness Guide for $5 from my Etsy shop. Need more motivation? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.