Our third prep challenge in September will be to add shoes, shirts, and pants to your 72-hour kit. Why add these items to your 72-Hour Kit? Because after a natural disaster, your clothing may become dirty, torn, or contaminated. And it’s better to be prepared with clothes already in your size. Update children’s clothing every six months or you’ll end up with clothes that don’t fit. Better yet, buy clothes one size up. Save yourself money by buying shoes, shirts, and pants on clearance or at a thrift store. The shoes may not fit in your backpack, so put them beside your kit in another bag or tote. It’s important to be prepared to evacuate on foot at a moment’s notice. Let’s get started.
1. Add Shoes, Shirts and Pants to Your 72-Hour Kit
- Earthquakes, fire, flood, tornadoes and other disasters leave glass and debris behind, so have shoes in or next to your kits.
- Find closed-toe shoes that work in any season. Boots are a good choice if they are lightweight, but running shoes are fine too. Think, “What would I want to wear if there were glass on my bedroom floor?”
- Don’t use shoes you wear daily now. If you keep your kit in your coat closet or under your bed, your shoes should be there as well.
- Fabric matters. Cotton is always good, but consider your climate when choosing shirts.
- Many of us do not update our kits often, so you could put a short-sleeve and long-sleeve shirt in your kit.
- Choose a fabric that is easy to roll up for your kit. Perhaps a pair of pants made from cotton, but not as bulky as denim. If you live in a very hot climate you could add shorts to your kit. We use hiking pants that convert to long shorts.
Adding shoes, shirts, and pants to your 72-hour kit will prepare you for many emergencies. Keep up the great work!
Best wishes and be safe,
The Food Storage Organizer
NOTES: You are never behind with my prep challenges. Just jump right in with this week. Want to see more prep challenges? Go here. And if you are new, go to my Start Here page. Purchase The Keep it Simple Preparedness Guide for $5 from my Etsy shop. Need more motivation? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.