If you sew, buy fabric and thread for our fifth prep challenge in September for a time of need. During the early months of the pandemic of 2020, there was a shortage of PPE (personal protective equipment). Thousands of volunteers sewed face masks and hospital gowns to help with the shortage. A shipping or factory shortage could affect our ability to purchase fabric, clothing, window coverings, bedding, and medical bandages. So this month, stock up on fabric and thread just in case.
Buy Fabric and Thread
How much fabric and thread to buy is completely up to you, just don’t go overboard.
- Perhaps two yards of one fabric design and a spool of thread.
- Choose basic colors with simple designs in cotton or cotton polyester fabric.
- Fabric and thread may be purchased year-round on clearance after season changes.
- Buy thread that works well in your sewing machine in colors such as black or white.
- Sewing skills may also be used to mend clothing, so keep sewing needles on hand too.
- If you already have fabric on hand, then organize it by color or fabric type.
“Storing extra fabric to make new clothing can also be useful. Needles, thread, and other sewing items should be part of every home storage so that torn clothing can be mended.”The Latter-day Saint Woman: Basic Manual for Women, Part B
Pandemic Face Mask Project
At the beginning of the pandemic, it was impossible to get face masks shipped from China. I oversaw a face mask project for my husband’s healthcare facilities. We collected over 2500 hand sewn face masks donated by amazing individuals from four Latter-day Saint stakes!!! It really was a true miracle.
At a time when some are minimizing, keep your fabric and thread. If you have sewing skills, buy fabric and thread this month for a time of need.
Best wishes and stay focused!
The Food Storage Organizer
NOTES: You are never behind with my prep challenges. Just jump right in with this week. Want to see more prep challenges? Go here. And if you are new, go to my Start Here page. Purchase The Keep it Simple Preparedness Guide for $5 from my Etsy shop. Need more motivation? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.