Along with your holiday food shopping this November, buy baking basics to add to your food storage such as flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, brownie, and cake mixes. Learn to have extra on your shelf for a time of scarcity. In 2020, there was a flour shortage when people were home during the pandemic and baking more. Pray before you shop, and a store you don’t typically shop at will come to mind and have the item you need. As you learn to invite Him into your quest for self-reliance, He will help you.
Buy Food Storage Baking Basics
Buy flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, brownie, and cake mixes. Next month we’ll gather sugars and honey, but if you really need them, you could buy it now. You’ll find great prices in November leading up to Thanksgiving.
- When you first buy flour, put it in a plastic bag in your refrigerator for a few days to kill any weevil bugs. Then store it in a sealed container in your pantry, fridge or freezer.
- Bags of white flour have a 1-year pantry shelf-life.
- Wheat flour has a 1-to-3 month shelf-life and stores best refrigerated or frozen.
- Iodized salt is essential for our bodies since we can’t produce iodine ourselves. I buy salt with iodine for baking, and sea salt for our table food.
- A 1-year’s supply of salt for an adult = 8 lbs. Salt has an indefinite shelf life if kept dry in a dark cupboard.
- You can buy a 10-year shelf-life white flour in #10 cans for $4.50 (2021) from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sells 10-year shelf-life white flour in #10 cans for $4.50 (2021). Keeping flour in cans protects it from bugs and other critters. Find locations to purchase here.
- A 1-year’s supply of flour for an adult = 48 lbs. or 12 #10 cans. Adjust amounts for children: Age 3 and under, 50%; 4-6, 70%; 7-10, 90%; 11 and up 100%.
I hope you buy the food storage baking basics you need. As you pray to know what to do, you will find the answers you seek.
Best wishes and stay healthy,
The Food Storage Organizer
NOTES: You are never behind with my prep challenges. Just jump right in with this week. Want to see more prep challenges? Go here. And if you are new, go to my Start Here page. Purchase The Keep it Simple Preparedness Guide for $5 from my Etsy shop. Need more motivation? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.