Our second prep challenge in May is to stock up on condiments which add flavor to our food. We’d be lost without them. By keeping a well-stocked pantry you’ll be ready for job loss, food shortages or that next barbecue. During the month of May, many condiments, sauces, and pickles go on sale in preparation for the summer and family gatherings. Try not to overbuy. No one truly needs 24 bottles of ketchup on their shelf. Let’s look at this challenge.
Stock Up On Condiments
- Look in your refrigerator and cupboards and take an inventory of the condiments you most often use. Toss out any expired items.
- Decide how often you use each item in a month. Perhaps keep one open, and one on your shelf. Or more if you have a larger family. Obviously, some items will last longer than 3 months.
- Watch for sales and coupons this month. There will be plenty of sales leading up to Memorial Day.
- Organize your items on lazy Susan’s or alphabetically.
- Go to StillTasty.com and find out how the shelf life of your items. It may surprise you.
- Go to FoodSafety.gov and review the items you should throw away after a power outage. That’s very important to know.
As you focus on one goal a week, you’ll build up an amazing supply of food. Best wishes as you stock up on condiments for your family.
The Food Storage Organizer
Purchase my food storage and emergency preparedness items in my Etsy shop.