Our third prep challenge in July is to buy shelf-stable canned or jerky meat for your 3-month food storage supply. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are encouraged to “store foods that are a part of your normal diet in your three-month supply.” One power outage can destroy all your refrigerated or frozen meats. A few shelf-stable meat ideas are chicken, beef, ham, Spam, corned beef hash, beef stew, and beef or turkey jerky.
Buy Meat For Food Storage
3-MONTH MEAT SUPPLY
Meat is the most expensive food storage item so it’s not necessary to gather much. You could gather dried grains and beans for protein, however most of us cook with meat regularly. Most people don’t eat freeze-dried meat every day, so storing canned or jerky meats makes sense. In March we gathered tuna fish, so this month buy other types of meat.
- If you don’t store much canned or jerky meat now, consider a few of your regular fresh meat recipes that you could substitute canned meat in.
- Look at the canned or dried meats you already use and decide how much you eat in a month. Multiply that by three for a 3-month supply.
- Canned and jerky meat may be found at regular grocery stores, Costco or Sam’s Club. Periodically it goes on sale at Utah case lot sales.
- You can also can your own meat in jars which is very economical.
“Store foods that are a part of your normal diet in your three-month supply.”Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints
MEAT SHELF LIFE
- Canned beef or chicken has a 3-5 year shelf life.
- Commercially-packaged jerky meat has a 1-year shelf life. Homemade jerky meat has a 2-3 month shelf life. Once opened, refrigerate jerky for a 2-3 month shelf life.
- Check all packaging dates. Go to StillTasty.com for additional shelf-life information.
- Store canned and jerky meat in a cool, dark cupboard or pantry away from heat. If conditions are warmer, the shelf life diminishes. Do not freeze.
- Stacking cans allows you to store more in your cupboards or shelves.
Have faith and you will find ways to buy meat for your 3-month food storage supply.
Best wishes and stay healthy!
Valerie Albrechtsen – The Food Storage Organizer
Purchase my food storage and emergency preparedness items in my Etsy shop.