The pandemic led to clothing shortages, so our fourth July prep challenge is to stock up on clothing basics like socks, underwear, and shoes. Clothing sales fell 79% in April 2020, and some of our favorite stores disappeared. Take advantage of summer sales now to stock up on clothing basics for your family so you are prepared for job loss or other clothing shortages. Some of you may be looking through your kid’s drawers right now with school just around the corner. Perfect! Let’s get to work.
STOCK UP ON CLOTHING BASICS
First, Inventory Your Clothing
- Does each person have an adequate supply of underwear, socks, shoes, or other clothing you would have a difficult time making yourself?
- Involve your children as you count and assess. Teach them to generously donate unneeded items.
- Could you afford to buy the next size socks or underwear? Since infants grow quickly, buy a larger size they will eventually grow into.
- Save clothes in good condition for another child.
- As you learn to evaluate the differences between wants and needs, you’ll soon come up with a plan to stock up on basic clothing.
- Buy extra shoes while they are on clearance. If they don’t fit later, trade them with a friend.
- If you find a great sale, buy one shirt in your child’s current size and one in the next size up in a different design or color.
- Shop at thrift stores for quality brands so clothes last longer.
- If you can sew, do a few alterations. Jeans can be cut into shorts for the summer.
- Latter-day Saint temple garments were not made to last forever, so keep a extra on hand.
“As you think about what you need to store, consider basic items (hygiene supplies, medication, important documents, clothing, and so on), water, and food that you may need to sustain yourself and your family for short-term and long-term periods. Learn about what to store for your area’s specific needs in the Temporal Preparedness Guide for Your Area.Tips for Food Storage and Production
My favorite sales tipster is The Krazy Coupon Lady. Check out these tips and hacks to help you shop for clothing.
- TARGET: Top Ways to Save on Target Clothes and How to Coupon at Target
- OLD NAVY: 22 Old Navy Online Shopping Tips
- KOHL’S: 24 Genius Kohl’s Shopping Hacks
- FAMOUS FOOTWEAR: 16 Famous Footwear Coupons and Tricks for Deals on Kicks
I hope these ideas help you stock up on clothing basics like socks, underwear, and shoes for your family. Pray for help and you will be blessed to find what you need.
Best wishes and be vigilant!
The Food Storage Organizer
Purchase my food storage and emergency preparedness items in my Etsy shop.