Our second prep challenge for August is to buy emergency shelter equipment. If you enjoy camping you probably have some equipment already. Everyone will need camping supplies to sleep in your yard or at a shelter following a disaster. You can also shelter in place in your tent inside your home if windows have been broken. This time of year you’ll find sales on tents and sleeping bags which is wonderful! Over time, gather the basics and keep them together in case you need to evacuate.
Buy Emergency Shelter Equipment
- Red Cross volunteers may not be ready for you when you arrive at an emergency shelter. Be self-sufficient and bring your own tent and other items just in case.
- A tent should provide privacy, warmth, shelter from weather, and be light enough to carry. Find one large enough for your family, pets, and supplies.
- After a disaster, you may end up camping in a parking lot or field. Most tents are easy to set up, but don’t be afraid to ask for help if needed.
- Buy a sleeping bag that is rated for the coldest nighttime temperatures where you live. If you get hot, sleep on top of it. Hopefully yours will come with a bag.
- If you can’t afford a new sleeping bag for everyone, gather a few at a time when they come on sale. Use blankets if needed.
- Tarps are extremely useful and can be used under your tent, as a sun or rain shield, or as an emergency outhouse. Find one that will fit under your tent to help with the cold. Hardware stores sometimes have the best ones.
DUCT TAPE & ROPE
- Duct tape is useful for repairing holes in your tent, and a nylon rope is a great back up if one of your tent ropes breaks. Keep these items in your tent bag.
It may take you several years to buy emergency shelter equipment. Just do the best you can, and you will be rewarded.
Best wishes and stay vigilant.
The Food Storage Organizer
Purchase my food storage and emergency preparedness items in my Etsy shop.
When you click on the link it takes you to August week 1
Thanks, I just fixed it. :-0
The button for the printable is showing week 1 Challenge, is week 2 already available? Thank you so much!
Thanks, I fixed it. 🙂
Thank you so much! 🙂