Our first prep challenge in October is to buy oils and fats for food storage or your pantry. Our bodies need fat for survival. Oils and fats are not a long-term shelf-life storage item, so they need regular rotation.
Buy Food Storage Oils and Fats
- Inventory the oils and fats you use such as nut butters, cooking oils, coconut oil, chocolate chips, chocolate candy, butter (freeze), shortening and mayonnaise.
- Throw away items past their shelf-life.
- Always smell oils and fats before use in case they’ve gone rancid.
- Two gallons of oil is a suggested year’s supply amount for one adult. You may exchange oils and fats by weight.
- Decide how much you want to store based on your regular use, finances, and storage space.
- Many of these items go on sale during the fall, so now is a great time to purchase them.
- I buy oils in small containers because I don’t use it quickly, even if it’s more expensive than a large container. I buy two containers of cooking oil at a time, then six months later I buy two more which varies the expiration dates.
Good luck buying oils and fats for your food storage.
Best wishes and stay focused on a week at a time,
The Food Storage Organizer
Purchase my food storage and emergency preparedness items in my Etsy shop.