Time to prepare a Christmas package for my missionary son in Sweden so it will arrive before Christmas. My sister already sent her missionary son’s package to Brazil two weeks ago, because of the poor mail service. With that in mind I need to prepare carefully so it arrives on time, as he also celebrates his birthday in December.
My three sons have served missions in Mongolia, Bolivia and now Sweden. My third son was just transferred to Luleå where he will have little daylight this winter! But he looks at it as an adventure and he will be able to see the Northern Lights.
I am wrapping each gift and attaching a scripture that he needs to look up before he opens each gift. I sent a similar Christmas package to my son who went to Bolivia, but I am revising the gifts based on the needs of my Swedish missionary. This idea would also work for those in the military.
Here is what I did:
- Decide on the gifts first. Get ideas at the links below.
- Think of light-weight items to help with shipping costs.
- Search for a correlating scripture using this online Search The Scriptures link. That part was fun! You get pretty creative.
- Remove all cardboard and plastic wrap that you really don’t need to help reduce weight for shipping.
- Buy several small 25 cent Christmas bags from Walmart or Walgreens. They look like lunch sacks. They make excellant wrapping paper for small gifts. After you fold them shut, cut off excess paper to reduce the weight of the gift.
- Write all scripture references on mailing labels and stick to each present before you close the gift.
- Attach a mini bow. Pack of 10 at Walmart for $1.00. Mom’s are pretty amazing at how much they can fit in mailing boxes. 🙂
- I keep my packed boxes under 4 lbs. because our mission is able to forward them to him if they are light.
CHRISTMAS CARE PACKAGE:
Matthew 18:11 “And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly:
yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind”
Knome Picture book (small album with pictures of family/friends holding a knome)
D&C 100:1 “Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again
with warm hearts and friendly hands.”
3 Nephi 18:9 “And it came to pass that they did so,
and did drink of it and were filled”
“Divine Redeemer” print by Simon Dewey
Mosiah 27:36 “they were instruments in the hands of God
in bringing many to the knowledge of the truth”
Temple recommend holder
2 Nephi 5:16 “And I, Nephi, did build a temple”
Piano sheet music
Deuteronomy 31:19 “Now therefore write ye this song for you”
Chocolate Chip muffin/pancake mix
Exodus 29:2 “And unleavened bread, and cakes unleavened”
Proverbs 30:14 “There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords”
Hand and Toe Warmers
Luke 24:40 “And when he had thus spoken,
he shewed them his hands and his feet.”
Isaiah 30:8 “write it before them in a table,
and note it in a book”
Money Origami from Around the World (for Pday)
D&C 133:37 “And this gospel shall be preached unto every nation,
and kindred, and tongue, and people.”
Swedish Fish (of course!)
Matt 4:19 “And he saith unto them,
Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men”
Foam Nativity kit
Matthew 2:2 “Where is he that is born King of the Jews?
for we have seen his star in the east,
and are come to worship him.”
Snickerdoodles cookie mix
Genesis 21:6 “God hath made me to laugh,
so that all that hear will laugh with me.”
Proverbs 7:2 “Keep my commandments, and live;
and my law as the apple of thine eye.”
“This is the Christ” CD
D&25:12 “For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart”
Note: added these items, so they are not on the printable list.
The extra tie is for his companion,
and he has been given instructions to share anything else.
Job 39:19 “hast thou clothed his neck with thunder?”
BYU beanie hat
Daniel 3:21 “Then these men were bound in their coats,
their hosen, and their hats”
Other Gift Ideas:
See this BYU Women’s Conference link for ideas.
And LDSMissionaryMoms for more ideas.
Hope you have a great time putting together your missionary package!