Hello! I’m Valerie Albrechtsen, the creator of FoodStorageOrganizer. I’m super excited to have you along. I’m here to help you sensibly gather food storage and preparedness supplies. You’ll find nothing extreme on my website.
1. First, set a goal to gather a 3-month supply of pantry foods and a 2-week supply of emergency water. If you live in a small home, start with a 1-month supply of food to see what fits. What is 3-month supply of food storage? Read this flyer from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
2. Make a list of the shelf-stable cans, boxes, and bags of food in your kitchen or pantry. These are the foods you will consistently gather into your 3-month food storage supply. Things like peanut butter, breakfast cereal, pasta, canned food, baking supplies, etc. It’s important to have a supply of these foods before you buy long-term foods like wheat and dry beans because 3-month foods are what your family eats now. You would use them first in an emergency. Here’s an inventory worksheet to help write your items down.
3. Budget how much money you can invest each week to buy extra food. Is it $10, $25, $50 or more? It has taken me years to build up my supplies. I’ve learned many things along the way about what works and what doesn’t for my family. You will too. What is your budget?
4. Commit to gathering a few extra items every time you grocery shop. You make a grocery list each week, right? Just had a few extra items to your cart that are on sale. An easy way to do this is think, “One to eat, and one for my shelf.” If you are short on cash, buy items that are on sale.
5. Stop eating everything on your shelf. Use some food but keep adding more so your cupboards are never empty.
6. Subscribe to my weekly emails. I’ll share tips and ideas for gathering food storage and emergency items weekly. Staying focused will help you be successful.
7. Download The Keep It Simple Preparedness Guide Book from my Etsy shop. It’s a little booklet packed with lots of information to help you gather food storage and preparedness items each month. When you subscribe to my emails, you’ll get 25% off.
Never feel guilty if you can’t get something I suggest because this, my friend, is a never-ending story with success, mistakes, and blessings along the way. Create your plan and make this your preparedness adventure.
You CAN do it!
The Food Storage Organizer