Finally, you’ve reached the last week of December. Congratulations on your hard work! This week our food storage challenge is to buy lotion, dish soap, liquid hand soap and lip balm AND to take a complete inventory of your food storage. The shopping is the easy part. Just add a few items to your grocery list. The complete inventory may take an hour or so. Set aside some time and get your family involved.
1. Buy Lotion, Dish Soap, Liquid Hand Soap & Lip Balm
- Buy enough of these items for a 1 to 3-month home storage supply.
- Buy larger refill bottles of dish and liquid hand soap and then refill your smaller dispensers.
- Lip balm is inexpensive at dollar stores. Take advantage of Christmas clearance sales too.
- Add a lip balm and a small lotion to your 72-hour kit in a plastic bag.
2. Complete A Food Storage Inventory
- On my printables page you’ll find two inventory worksheets. One is simplified and the other is several pages long. Print the one that makes sense to you.
- Go through your home and find all of your food storage.
- Throw out the old stuff. How do you know it’s old? Go to StillTasty.com. If you have older #10 cans, toss the potato pearls. And the dry milk older than 20 years. Yes, you can throw food away. And that’s if you’ve stored these items in your home.
- Write down how much you have. Please don’t do a perfect job of this inventory. It’s just a place to start. You’ll modify it throughout the year.
- If you want to set goals, look on my my printables page for ideas.
- This coming year, you can set goals each month with The Keep It Simple Preparedness Guide.
Here’s a list of food storage items and amounts from Brigham Young University.
“SOME CHURCH MEMBERS OPINE THAT EMERGENCY PLANS AND SUPPLIES, FOOD STORAGE, AND 72-HOUR KITS
MUST NOT BE IMPORTANT ANYMORE BECAUSE THE BRETHREN HAVE NOT SPOKEN RECENTLY AND EXTENSIVELY ABOUT THESE AND RELATED TOPICS IN GENERAL CONFERENCE.
BUT REPEATED ADMONITIONS TO PREPARE HAVE BEEN PROCLAIMED BY LEADERS OF THE CHURCH FOR DECADES. THE CONSISTENCY OF PROPHETIC COUNSEL OVER TIME CREATES A POWERFUL CONCERT OF CLARITY AND A WARNING VOLUME FAR LOUDER THAN SOLO PERFORMANCES CAN EVER PRODUCE.”Elder David A. Bednar
October 2020 General Conference
I hope you take preparedness seriously. Best wishes and stay healthy,
Valerie Albrechtsen, The Food Storage Organizer