Our third prep challenge in July is to buy shelf-stable canned or jerky meat for your 3-month food storage supply. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are encouraged to store shelf-stable foods we normally eat that do not spoil quickly. Most people don’t eat freeze-dried meat every day, so storing canned or jerky meats makes sense. Meats are the most expensive food storage item so it’s not necessary to gather much of them. You could gather dried grains and beans for the protein and nutrients you need, however most of us eat fresh meat regularly. In March we gathered tuna fish, so this month buy canned or jerky meat you normally eat.
Buy Meat For Food Storage
3-MONTH MEAT SUPPLY
Look at the canned or dried meat you currently use and decide how much you eat in a month. Multiply that by three for a 3-month supply. A few examples are chicken breast, beef, ham, Spam, corned beef hash, beef stew, and beef or turkey jerky.
Do you use them for sandwiches, casseroles or snacks? If you don’t store much canned or jerky meat now, consider a few of your regular fresh meat recipes that you could substitute canned meat in. One power outage can destroy all your refrigerated or frozen meat.
Canned and jerky meat may be found at regular grocery stores and Costco or Sam’s Club. Periodically it comes on sale at Utah case lot sales.
“Store foods that are a part of your normal diet in your three-month supply.”Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints
MEAT SHELF LIFE
- Canned beef or chicken has a 3-5 year shelf life.
- Store-packaged jerky meat has a 1-year shelf life. Once opened, refrigerate jerky for a 2-3 month shelf life.
- Homemade jerky meat has a 2-3 month shelf life.
- Check all packaging dates. See StillTasty.com for additional shelf-life ideas.
- Store canned and jerky meat in a cool, dark cupboard or pantry away from heat appliances. If conditions are warmer, the shelf life diminishes. Do not freeze.
- Stacking cans allows you to store more in your cupboards or shelves.
Have faith and you will find ways to buy meat for your 3-month food storage supply.
Best wishes and stay healthy!
Valerie Albrechtsen – The Food Storage Organizer
NOTES: You are never behind with my prep challenges. Just jump right in with this week. Want to see more prep challenges? Go here. And if you are new, go to my Start Here page. Purchase The Keep it Simple Preparedness Guide for $5 from my Etsy shop. Need more motivation? Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.