Are you prepared for a 7.0 earthquake in Utah? Participate in the Great Utah ShakeOut on Wednesday, April 17th at 10:15 a.m. wherever you are. Sign up here.
The following video shows “what might happen in a Wasatch fault earthquake, and what Utahns can do to reduce losses.”
What will happen on April 17?
- The ShakeOut Drill is scheduled for 10:15 AM on April 17, 2012.
- This means that wherever you are at that moment—at home, at work, at school, anywhere—you should Drop, Cover, and Hold On as if there were a major earthquake occurring at that very moment, and stay in this position for at least 60 seconds.
- There will not be any freeway closures, power outages, or other simulated effects of the hypothetical earthquake, unless your local government or utility company specifically notifies you about something of this nature.
- The ShakeOut is not something you need to leave work to participate in—in fact, participating at work is encouraged! Businesses, organizations, schools, and government agencies can register and have their employees practice Drop, Cover, and Hold On or have a more extensive emergency drill.
- The main goal of the ShakeOut is to get Utahns prepared for major earthquakes, so use the ShakeOut as an opportunity to learn what to do before, during, and after an earthquake. Visit http://www.earthquakecountry.info/roots/seven_steps.html for tips on how to prepare, survive, and recover.
- Anyone in Utah can participate, from a single individual at their home to a major company at the office. Talk to your coworkers, neighbors and friends about the ShakeOut and encourage their participation.
- Sign up for free at http://www.ShakeOut.org/Utah/register to be counted in the ShakeOut Drill, get email updates, and more.
To learn more about how to Drop, Cover and Hold On visit this webiste:
Drop! Cover! Hold On!
Also, watch these videos which show what happens to furniture in a bedroom during an earthquake. It will make you really think. See bottom left of page:
•Inside a Bedroom Without Proper Anchoring
•Inside a Child’s Bedroom with Proper Anchoring
To find out what month your state or country is participating, go here.