The January List
STEP 1: 3-Month FOOD STORAGE SUPPLY – Long Term Foods
(Suggested amounts are for 1 adult)
CL = case lot sale, WM = Walmart, LDS = available at LDS Home Storage centers
LT 30 YR= Long-Term shelf life if stored properly. Consider storing a year’s supply.
1. Decide on a monthly food storage budget
2. Choose a few items from the list that you want to focus on
3. Multiply list amounts by # of family members. Adjust amounts and items for younger children
4. Each week look at your grocery store ads for items on sale that match your goals
5. Carry your list with you, or put it on your cell phone notepad
Wheat 25 lbs. or 4 LDS #10 cans (LT 30 YR)
Oats 5 lbs. or 2 LDS #10 cans (LT 30 YR)
Dry Beans 5 lbs. or 1 LDS #10 can (LT 30 YR)
Rice, white 10 lbs. or 2 #10 LDS cans (LT 30 YR)
NON-FOOD ITEMS (per person)
Cold & Pain medicines (per family)
Storage shelves (on sale, as needed)
Storage totes (on sale, as needed)
72-HOUR KIT (per person)
Mini first aid kit
AUTO EMERGENCY KIT (per auto)
Small first aid kit
STEP 2: DRINKING WATER Store a 2-Week Supply of drinking water, which is about 14 gallons per person. If you’ve already started this, continue to add to your supply. For drinking, that is about 4×24 ct. cases of 16.9 oz. bottles per person. You may need more for hygiene and cooking which you can store in other containers. Always keep stocked up on water. You can’t live without it.
STEP 3: FINANCIAL RESERVE
Each week add some money to an emergency fund. Decide on a do-able amount and set up weekly transfers from checking to savings. Or put aside your loose change in a jar. Whichever way you choose to save, use it only for emergencies.
1. Clean and organize food storage room/pantry.
2. Clean out freezer.
3. Clean out medicines.