Here’s what we’re working on this week:
INVENTORY: Grains, Pasta and Potatoes. Items like wheat, rice, oats, potato flakes, flour, macaroni, spaghetti, and other pastas. Count what you have. Decide what you need.
3-MONTH FOOD STORAGE per person: canned Chicken and Turkey – 6 ea.
2-WEEK’S WATER: Accumulate 14 gallons of water per person (or 4×24 ct. cases per person). Check the current case lot sale at Smith’s, $2.50 for a 24 ct. case.
EMERGENCY FUND: Add $2.00 or more per person each week.
HOME STORAGE: Batteries (Cheapest at Costco or Sam’s Club)
72-HOUR KIT: Copy of prescriptions you regularly take. Put in a Ziploc bag in your kit to protect from water damage.
AUTO KIT: Food and water. Food bars work well. One bottle of water per seat.
EQUIPMENT: Gas shut-off key.
PREP GOAL: Do you know where the gas shut off valve is? Do you know when and when not to shut it off? Check your local gas company website for information.
A broken pipe can cause flooding, but you can get things under control quickly if you know hot to turn off the water. Contact your water company if you can’t find the shut off valve. Simple knowledge can save your home from damage and danger.
For the complete September list, go to this post.
How to Use This List:
1. Decide on a monthly home storage budget.
2. Decide what you want to gather or do from the list.
3. Multiply amounts by number of family members.
4. Adjust amount for younger children.
5. Adapt, adapt, adapt. These are only suggestions. Pick and choose.
6. Each week look for store sales that match your goals.
7. Carry your list with you or put it on your cell phone notepad.
8. Here is a link to a list of items for the entire month.
You are never behind if you take one step forward!