I’ve been watching the news about Hurricane Sandy. My niece is in Brooklyn, New York, and I have other friends that way as well. I love hearing about how you have prepared yourself.
From my niece: “We’ve got water, flashlights, food and toilet paper to ride out the Frankenstorm. Its windy but calm outside right now…supposed to get worse over the next couple days. Brett’s agency was closed for tomorrow but he’s hard at work making calls to the EQ about evacuations. Life here keeps us on the edge of our seats!!”
From my friend Shielah: “We are getting ready for a real nasty storm here. They expect us to be out of power for 3 days or so starting Monday night or Tuesday morning. So, we got ice and filled our car up with gas and such. Lowes ran out of generators Saturday at 6 am. Sure wish I had one. LOL
Just thought that you might want to know. Will contact you after the power comes back on.”
FEMA suggested yesterday:
“If you or someone you know may be impacted by Hurricane Sandy, here are a few things to do today:
– Get some extra cash out at the ATM today. If the power goes out, banks/ATMs may be offline for some time.
– Make a plan for how you’ll keep your cell phone charged if you lose power for several days. Picking up a solar or hand-crank charger for your phone is a good idea.
– High winds are expected across a wide area. Protect your home/business – cover windows, clean gutters, trim trees.
– Get to the store today for emergency supplies – water, nonperishable food, batteries, flashlight, etc.
– Visit www.Ready.gov/hurricanes or m.fema.gov on your phone for more hurricane safety tips.”
You can get more updates on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/FEMA