Here’s what we’re gathering this week (Dec 16 – Dec. 22).
- Fruits & Vegetables. Count your cans and containers of fruits and vegetables. Decide if you are storing enough if you were without power for several weeks. Make a note about which items you want to increase your supply of, and gradually build it up.
STEP 1: 3-MONTH FOOD STORAGE per person:
- 1 box Baking mix (1 YSL) optional
- 1 box Salt (ISL) LT
- ISL = indefinite shelf life, YSL = year shelf life, YFL = year freezer shelf life
STEP 2: 2-WEEK SUPPLY OF DRINKING WATER:
- Accumulate 14 gallons of emergency water per person. That’s about 4×24 ct. cases of 16.9 oz. bottles. If you refill your own containers, change them every 6 months; whereas commercially bottled water can be stored indefinitely. Water is an absolute necessity, so don’t scrimp on it! You will need extra for hygiene, cleaning and cooking. Pick up a case here and there, but get this done quickly.
- Start small, but be consistent. Add $2.00 or more per person each week, and only use it for real emergencies. This is not an investment fund.
STEP 4: LONGER-TERM FOOD STORAGE:
- Do STEPS 1, 2 and 3 simultaneously, and then start this step. If you see an LT by an item in STEP 1, it stores long-term like 20 to 30+ years.
- Scouring Sponges. This is one of the cleanup supplies used after Hurricane Sandy. Would be useful for many emergencies.
- 72-HOUR KIT: Add $10 + into an equipment fund for an item below.
- AUTO EMERGENCY KIT: Add $10 + into an equipment for an item below.
- EQUIPMENT FUND: Many of you have been working on your 72-hour kits and auto emergency kits with me for the past 9 months, and they are probably complete. So for the past 8 weeks we have been saving up to buy a a more expensive equipment item at the end of December. However, if you are not ready to do this and want to work on your emergency kits, go back to my 12 Monthly Food Storage lists and look for items you want to purchase for your kits. Decide on an item to buy: Electric Pressure Cooker $100, Pressure Canner/Cooker $100, Tent $150, 2-Burner Outdoor Propane Stove $100, Volcano Cook Stove $100, Indoor/Outdoor Heater $100, Electric Wheat Grinder $250, Chain saw $200-300, Solar Oven $300, KitchenAid Mixer $300, Bosch Mixer $420, or Generator $800+ . Put aside money each week. Purchase your item at the end of December.
- EQUIPMENT GOAL: Watch for sales on your large purchase item suggested above.
PREP GOAL: FREE WEEK
HOW TO USE THIS LIST:
1. Decide on a monthly or weekly home storage budget.
2. Realistically decide what you want to gather or do from the list.
3. Multiply amounts by number of family members.
4. Adjust amount for younger children.
5. Adapt, adapt, adapt. These are only suggestions. Pick and choose.
6. Each week look for store sales that match your goals.
7. Carry your list with you or put it on your cell phone notepad.
If you want to see the entire month, go to the December Monthly Food Storage List.
You are never behind if you take one step forward.