I am finally back in town after a trip to California for the school break. I am posting both last week and this week’s food storage goals. Sorry I didn’t get it out last week, but family first.
Here is last week’s list (Oct. 14 – 20):
INVENTORY: Paper and Plastics. It’s always helpful to have a supply of paper plates, cups, bowls, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. on hand. They are especially useful in emergency situations. I keep at least a 1 to 3-month supply of these items on hand. Count what you have and decide what you need.
3-MONTH FOOD STORAGE per person: 24 oz. of Vegetable/Olive/Coconut Oil, etc. AND 1 lb. of shortening/lard, etc. Everybody is different, so stock up on what you use. Store in a dark cupboard. Deal: Smith’s Kroger 48 oz. cooking oil is $2.49
2-WEEK WATER SUPPLY: Accumulate 14 gallons of water per person (or 4×24 ct. cases per person). We are always refilling our containers or buying cases throughout the year.
EMERGENCY FUND: Start small, but be consistent. Add $2.00 or more per person each week. And only use for emergencies.
HOME STORAGE: Pain medicines. Items such as Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, or other things you use for pain management. Buy a 6-month supply because we restock every 6 months. One or two bottles may be sufficient.Try buying store brands or use coupons.
72-HOUR KIT: Add $10 + into an equipment fund. (see below)
AUTO EMERGENCY KIT: Add $10 + into an equipment fund. (see below)
EQUIPMENT FUND: Many of you have been working on your 72-hour kits and auto emergency kits for the past 9 months. So for the next 12 weeks you will see a suggested amount to save for a more expensive equipment item to be purchased at the end of December.
However, if you are not ready to do this and want to continue building your emergency kits, go back to my older monthly lists and look for items you want to purchase each week. We will start over again in January.
1. Decide on an item such as one of the following that you want to save for:
Electric Pressure Cooker $100, Pressure Canner/Cooker $100, Tent $150, 2-Burner Outdoor Propane Stove $100, Volcano Cook Stove $100, Indoor/Outdoor Heater $100, Electric Wheat Grinder $250, Chain saw $200-300, Solar Oven $300, KitchenAid Mixer $300, Bosch Mixer $420, or Generator $800+
2. Divide the dollar amount by 12.
3. Put aside that amount each week.
4. Purchase your item at the end of December.
EQUIPMENT GOAL: Fire extinguisher. They are on sale at Costco until November 4.
PREP GOAL: Collect favorite holiday recipes. Type them up and keep them in a notebook. I know it seems easier to have them online, but just gather a few family favorites to have at your finger tips.
HOW TO USE THIS LIST:
1. Decide on a monthly or weekly home storage budget.
2. Realistically decide what you want to gather or do from the list.
3. Multiply amounts by number of family members.
4. Adjust amount for younger children.
5. Adapt, adapt, adapt. These are only suggestions. Pick and choose.
6. Each week look for store sales that match your goals.
7. Carry your list with you or put it on your cell phone notepad. You are never behind if you take one step forward.