Here is what we are working on this week (Oct. 21 – 27):
INVENTORY: Breakfast items. We count these every 3 months. This includes such items as boxed cereals, oatmeal, pancake mix and syrup, etc. Count what you have and decide what you need. Learn to keep a 3-month supply always on hand.
3-MONTH FOOD STORAGE per person: 6 lbs. beef chunks/corned beef/jerky/etc. Costco has 12 oz. cans of Kirkland roast beef (no gravy) for $3.00 ea. Sore what your family does/will eat. Canned beef is an easy ad in to to stew. We like beef or turkey jerky from Costco as well for a protein boost. During a week-long power outage, you will be glad you had some beef. Don’t depend on your freezer!
2-WEEK WATER SUPPLY: Accumulate 14 gallons of water per person (or 4×24 ct. cases per person). We are always refilling our containers or buying cases throughout the year. A few weeks ago I used a free Smith’s Kroger coupon for a case of water. 🙂
EMERGENCY FUND: Start small, but be consistent. Add $2.00 or more per person each week. And only use for emergencies.
HOME STORAGE: Thermometer. Does yours work? If not, pick up one this week.
72-HOUR KIT: Add $10 + into an equipment fund. (see below)
AUTO EMERGENCY KIT: Add $10 + into an equipment fund. (see below)
EQUIPMENT FUND: Many of you have been working on your 72-hour kits and auto emergency kits for the past 9 months. So for the next 12 weeks you will see a suggested amount to save for a more expensive equipment item to be purchased at the end of December.
However, if you are not ready to do this and want to continue building your emergency kits, go back to my older monthly lists and look for items you want to purchase each week. We will start over again in January.
1. Decide on an item such as one of the following that you want to save for:
Electric Pressure Cooker $100, Pressure Canner/Cooker $100, Tent $150, 2-Burner Outdoor Propane Stove $100, Volcano Cook Stove $100, Indoor/Outdoor Heater $100, Electric Wheat Grinder $250, Chain saw $200-300, Solar Oven $300, KitchenAid Mixer $300, Bosch Mixer $420, or Generator $800+
2. Divide the dollar amount by 12.
3. Put aside that amount each week.
4. Purchase your item at the end of December.
EQUIPMENT GOAL: Carbon monoxide detector. They are on sale at Costco until November 4.
PREP GOAL: Look around your house for those bookcases, T.V. cabinets or a china cabinet which could topple over during an earthquake. Get some brackets and bolt it to the wall. It only takes a few minutes to secure those items and protect your loved ones.
HOW TO USE THIS LIST:
1. Decide on a monthly or weekly home storage budget.
2. Realistically decide what you want to gather or do from the list.
3. Multiply amounts by number of family members.
4. Adjust amount for younger children.
5. Adapt, adapt, adapt. These are only suggestions. Pick and choose.
6. Each week look for store sales that match your goals.
7. Carry your list with you or put it on your cell phone notepad. You are never behind if you take one step forward.